Nikolaev Zoo was founded by Nikolaev city mayor Nikolai Pavlovich Leontovich. As he himself wrote in the report to the Nikolaev District Executive Committee in 1923, the zoo, named then Aquarium, was founded on 26 April 1901.
Before the October revolution in Russia Aquarium was the mayor’s private collection, and it was situated in his detached house. As far back as in the pre-revolution period Leontovich’s collection was widely known in Russia and in Europe. Aquarium was equipped according to the latest technical achievements of that time. Electrical air compressors and water heaters were used in the fish tanks, 75 in quantity. Some of the tanks contained up to 3000 litres of water. Collection consisted of about 50 fish species and reptiles, all in all more than 1000 specimens. There were only seven such collections in the whole Europe. N.P. Leontovich regularly published works on aquariumistics, was an active fellow member of the Natural society in Nikolaev. In 1918 the collection was nationalized and Leontovich was appointed its director.
At present as far as Earlier it lived in the our people’s interest to it is clear. Unfortunately, our zoo museum exists on a voluntary basis. There is no keeper in the staff. And the very room is not quite adapted to the exposition. We have plans in future to create a museum exposition in a large spacious hall with up- to – date equipment and specialist staff. The given museum in the zoo enables us to vary the scientific – educational work with the visitors. Practically, each zoo has an opportunity to create its own museum, preserving its history and prolonging the life of animals in a new quality
Phone: +380 512 245 180
Pets | wildlife in Ukraine